12 August 2007

Wisp’s FOO Report #1 – Reading

I took a much needed day of work Friday to go see my parents in Oxford, this has the benefits of good free food, My dad’s a chef, plus as my Sister put it on Saturday morning, “He’s just treating this place as a free B&B!” Which just happens to be true but that’s besides the point. So on Saturday morning I got a lift to reading, for the Pre-release at Eclectic Games.

The Cards
So with 10 players and 2 Hero’s and 4 Fires boosters in front of me it was time to crack them open! From the Hero’s packs I got:-

Abilities
Marked For Death (Hunter)
Fire Blast - Frost Nova (Mage)
Holy Light (Bubble Boy)
Crippling Poison (Makeup)
Healing Wave (Shaman)
Fear - Sever the Cord (Warlock)
Rend - Stalwart Protector (Tin Can)
Rally the Troops - Shattering Blow

Allies (Alliance)
Adept Breton - Tracker Gallen - Milo the Unmerciful (c2)
Sha’lin Nightwind (c3)
Liba Wobblebonk (c5)
Lafiel (c6)

Allies (Horde)
Brigg (c1)
Vesh’ral (c3)
Blood Guard Mal’wani (c4)

Allies (Neutral)
Infernal (Warlock)

Equipment
Chromatic Cloak
Golem Skull Helm

Quests
The Defias Brotherhood (Alliance)
Battle of Darrowshire
Into the Maw of Madness
It’s a Secret to Everyone

That was the old cards out the way, so now onwards to the new cards! And from these 4 packs I ended up with:-

Abilities
Call of the Wild - Prowl - Zephyr (Druid)
Freezing Trap (Hunter)
Arcane Blast - Frost Funnel - Mana Jade (Mage)
Blessing of Divinity (Bubble Boy)
Mind Sooth - Soul Rend (Priest)
Anesthetic Poison x2 - Deadly Brew - Jackknife (Makeup)
Chain Heal - Earth Shock - Heroism - Life Arc (Shaman)
Immolate - Jar Soul (Warlock)
Devastate - Victory Rush (Tin Can)
Battle “Preparations” - Defensive Breach

Allies (Alliance)
Krenig Soulguard - Maagoff “Sparroweye” Ironhammer x2 (c1)
Exodar Peacekeepers - Hailey Goodchile (c2)
Christopher the Devout - Izza Spindleflame (c3)
Nalkus (c4)
Caddrick Von Styler - Norrund Grovewalker x2 (c6)

Allies (Horde)
Jasmin Bloodlove - Mustang Sally (c1)
Ez’trin - Silvermoon Sentinels - Snig Feralsnout (c2)
Gahrunt Foulfang (c3)
Hurlorn Battlechaser - Rek’gar - Uglund Duskrider (c4)
Ash’ergi x2 (c5)

Allies (Neutral)
Angrida (Warlock)

Equipment
Master Cannoneer Boots
Sun-Gilded Shouldercaps

Quests
Brother Against Brother
Gahz’ridian
In Case of Emergency
One Draenei’s Junk … x2
Voidwalkers Gone Wild
What’s Wrong at Cenarion Thicket?

Deck Building
Ok, Now I knew what I had to play with! And some of these new cards are funky . Its time to sort out a class, faction & hero. Well I have 4 equipment in total and not a single weapon so bye-bye to Warriors, Rogues, Paladins. No hunter pets to make up for the lack of weapons so bye to them too! . Ok got a cat form card for the druid but its only one and there is now way of recovering it once destroyed so Druids are out. Priests I have….erm ok… bye Priests.

That’s 6 down and 3 to go! Shaman, Mage or Warlock. Shamans have healing x3 and interrupt + damage and if I go alliance a one turn +2 ATK to all my allies. With so few heavy beat sticks the healing won’t help much so there goes shaman.
Left know with Mage and Warlock, both of which will benefit from the chromatic cloak. The mage had 4 damage abilities to gain from it including Frost Nava and Frost Funnel which can stop things attacking me.
Warlocks only had one direct damage card in Immolate but that’s also a dot so more potential cloak benefit. Plus there is soul Jar (Pay 4 remove target ally from the game – Ongoing: Destroy Soul Jar you pay (2) less to play your next pet this turn) which goes o so nicely with that wonderful little Infernal! Which to go for? Strongly tempted to Warlock due to the infernal and also with a small number of beat sticks Mage gets tossed.

Faction was decided simply on the top end beat sticks! For the hoard there where 2 Ash’ergi (C5 – 3/5 – Stealth - +1 ATK for each damage on him). Nice card bypassed those annoying protectors (something I only had 1 off!!!!). To remove him is likely to result in a 2 or 3 for 1 trade off which is good for me, but once he’s dead I have only a load of fragile none ferocity allies left!!!.
On the alliance side there is Norrund Grovewalker (C6 – 5/4 – Elusive – Untargetable) yup this card is NICE! Especially as it’s a common. With the only way to remove it being AoE damage the choice was a no brainer really – Alliance.

So which hero? Erm another no brainer Dizzy here I come!

So for my deck I threw in all the Warlocks cards, all the allies apart from Lafiel and Caddrick. Add in a chromatic cloak, For the quests Defias, Maw, Darrowshire & It’s a secret from the original set. With the new quests I added in Gahz’ridian (Pay 5 draw 2), One Draenei’s Junk x2 & Cenarion Thicket (Pay 1 on your turn both players draw a card). Bung in a Shattering blow to make a deck of 30 cards.

In hind sight I should have left out the cloak and Cenarion Thicket and maybe put in Lafiel & Battle Preparations. While I never got to use shattering blow the new 5 cost instant version Defensive Breach may have been a better choice.

My final deck on its curve was:-

1 Drops
Sparroweye x2 - Krenig Soulguard
Fear
It’s a Secret – Defias – Darrowshire - Cenarion Thicket - Into the maw (where else can I list it!)

2 Drops
Milo – Gallen - Adept Breton - Peacekeepers - Goodchilde
Immolate – Sever the cord
One Draenei’s Junk x2

3 Drops
Angrida – Nightwind – Spindleflame

4 Drops
Nalkas
Jar Soul – Shattering Blow
Chromatic Cloak

5 Drops
Liba Wobblebonk
Gahz’ridian

6 Drops
Infernal – Grovewalker x2

The Tournament
Ok now I spent ages about my deck building its onto the actual matches – And here my notes a crap so will be much shortened (add to that I’m halve asleep atm…) Any way onwards with the reports.

Match 1 – Lee
The last time I played Lee was at a couple of London regionals ago where my under construction Phaladus deck got squashed by evil warrior - 31 damage in a turn - combos!
Today Lee was playing Dizzy! So its gnome lock against gnome lock! In the first game I sort of got overwhelmed! Trades working in his favour, EVIL sarmoth getting in the way, protectors on his side of the board and a rapidly squished gnome on my side.
Game 2! This time it went my way I get control of the board enough (usually empty!) to get out Mr Grovewalker and start laying down the pain! Result = Squashed gnome on his side!
And then decider (There was one in every match for me ). This game was sort of like the first I got overwhelmed and squashed!
So now 0-1

Match 2 – John
This is an opponent I’ve never played before so can’t start with some comment about past games or wanting revenge or anything like that so will just get on with the game. My opposing hero this time was Mojo Shapper Ojo’mon (really! Trolls should just all be put down for having really stupid names!).
In game one I was sort of overwhelmed (I was starting to get used to this! And it would continue!) and my gnoom got squashed by the big bad troll!
Game two & three where pretty similar lots of damage to both sides but the combination of 2 or 3 of my 3 beat-sticks was enough to cut the troll down to size!
In this match up “Sparroweye” really began to shine! This nice little ally is (C1 – 1/1 – Pay (1) Sparroweye has long range this turn) when left unmolested for a turn or two becomes really good at clearing fragile allies, and with 2 in play was even better.
So now 1-1

Match 3 – Alex
Another opponent I’ve not played against! This is looking good (3 rounds and no Jacimo! The Fates must be taking a nap!). Alex’s hero was the “Kneecapper” – Gnomes really do look stupid in Wrath, they always have and always will do!
Game one and the cards just flowed, smash, smash, smash!!! And I ripped that silly axe helmet of the gnoom and punted him across the room! One up!
Round two and where did all my cards go? By poor little dizzy got really beaten up!
The tie breaker round! Now this was probably the best single game of the whole day, even though I lost! Towards the end I was sitting there with 10 health looking at his allies and weapon capable of doing 10 damage! Only one way to survive his next turn was to take out an ally with one of mine – was ok with me, had enough to kill him on my next go! His turn and he flipped his hero and his allies hit me for 8, then he hit me with the dagger for 1. So close maybe just maybe…. Nah! Down game the Sunfury bow which was then exhausted to ping Dizzy for 1
So now 1-2

Match 4 – Tim
Tim was one of those mean people who beat me at the Birmingham pre-release of Heroes. Admittedly I had no chance with a Moonshadow starter deck! But that’s no reason not to want REVENGE!!!111oneoneone. Not that I do, just saying its not a reason not to. Tim was playing Mazar, the other alliance gnome lock, btw.
Game one and “Sparroweye” earned his keep, the beats game down hard and fast and dizzy proofed she was better than any new comer to the Gnomish Warlock Throne!. 1 up to me.
Game two and the tempo was in my favour until he played Battle “Preparations”. So I couldn’t attack on my next turn, big deal I thought he can’t attack on his next turn either so lets lay down some weenies, including Gallen, to pound into him on my next go! The his turn and down came Shadow Fury 2 Damage to all my allies and exhaust them – not that was an issue because they all died! Clear field nothing on my side and his big 6 drops came down and squashed me!
So the final tiebreaker, “Sparroweye”, both of them, kept the field reasonable clear for the early game. Later on I was sitting on 5 resources and a Grove Walker plus one card in the hand. Completed it’s a secret, put the second Grove Walker to the top and completed Darrowshire to draw it. Down goes a card as a resource and out comes my beatstick! The match had turned into a DPS race! Next turn the other walker and I won the race!
Yay VENGENCE (not that I was after it!) was mine!
So finally 2-2

Put me in 6th place out of 10 which considering the cards I had compared to what I saw some other people play was not too bad.

Wisp

No comments: