13 January 2009

AutoHotkey

There was a major problem with hunters that existed at the end of TBC in the end content raiding. This problem stems from the need to maximise your dps and the use of a “button” mashing macro to achieve it. The idea was that you rapidly hit the key binding or clicked on the action button for a macro. Each press can only trigger one skill so by spamming the button it fires off the ones not affected by cool downs. Before Autoshot & Steady shot got decoupled they where two of the actions included in the button, the rest where usually pet related.

Now button spamming has a major problem, you are doing a repetitive action for sustained periods of time and this leads to injury! And it got that far with me on more than one occasion. The solution to this problem? Don’t use a macro, watch your damage drop and get shouted at for slacking on the dps? Buy a programmable keyboard, a solution I know lot of people use.

I didn’t have the money to justify this so in the end I found a little bit of software to do what I need, AutoHotkey. With this program I run a script on my PC while using wow. 

XButton1::
Loop ; Since no number is specified with it, this is an infinite loop unless "break" or "return" is encountered inside.
{
  if not GetKeyState("XButton1", "P") ; 
  break 
  ; 
  send 7
  sleep 200
}
return

This script is simple as can be, my left side mouse button, the one in reach of my thumb has been reprogrammed to press the 7 key on my keyboard 5 times a second. Number 7 used to be my hotkey for my old TBC Steady Shot spam macro, currently its just normal steady shot. I get the same effect of repeatedly hitting the key or clicking on the macro button, but without the risk of RSI.

Wisp

No comments: