2 June 2008

A new incarnation of Wisp

On Friday, I went an brought a copy of Age of Conan because I was curious and a lot of friends from wow had been giving it a go. Including some who have quit playing. First thing to notice, my graphics card is just below the recomended level (I have a 512Mb GeForce 7800 Gsomething, and recomended is a 512Mb GeForce 7900 GTX) Then we move onto the 32Gb hard drive space... Yup I said 32Gb!!! As I only have two 80Gb hard drives in my PC, full of a lot of junk it was time to make a trip to Argos.

Eventually I arrived home with my new game and a 500Gb external hard drive. This game having cost me over £100 but I needed the storage anyway. 30 Mins to move all the junk from one partition and its overspill onto another into my new harddrive. A quick defrag of the now empty partition and its was installation time.

We will now take a quick break to read my book, go to buy food from the supermarket, prepare and eat dinner, do some more reading.

Over two hours later the game was installed and patched.

Well character creation is awsome! I could spend hours on this screen customizing how my character looks down to the smallest little detail! Basic mode lets you choose your chars size and height, select from a list of predefined body marking, facial features etc. Then you hit advanced! your can change anything from the angles or the eyes, shape of mouth, nose & chin. The shape and lengths of arms, legs, torso etc. After 5 mins of messing around with this I did realise that I have no sense of proportion and only if I wanted to make a bug eyed monster would I use this section! Back to basic for me. And so the new incarnation of Wisp is born! Small and slight, a mere wisp of a lass. (See I can even justify keeping a variation of my WoW chars name.)



The gameplay reminds me of a multiplayer morrowind, some one else mentioned Oblivion but I never got around to playing that due to WoW. I am seriously enjoying it at the moment, and the music, well, its impressive. Combat is resonably simple in concept but mastering it will of course take time. You have 3 basic attacks left, centre & right. Then you put combo moves onto your hotbar these involved using them and then one or more basic attacks in sequence. Add to this the fact you can get other combat bonuses by double tapping movement keys, and it becomes a really engaging system.

Will I keep playing? A good question, and I think it will depend on the end game. I have already almost decided that in the next wow expansion I will be doing the end game instances in the 10 man mode rather than 25. A more relaxed approach should give me the time to actually do other things!

Wisp

No comments: