20 May 2008

UK Realm Championships


On saturday in Brumland, was the first major UK competition of the year. In the Brittania hotel just around the corner from the station over 70 players arrived for the tournement plus more for the side events. The atmosphere was Awsome, if a bit too hot by early afternoon due to air conditioning being dead!

To start every one got an EA Wraith Scythe participation card as well as a top 8 qualifier T-shirt, back dated prize support, so I have three of em!

And sometime soon after 10 the first of 7 gruelling rounds began! And I was facing Nimadus the Implacable. (Paly deck nr 1). Game one, My inspiring allies helped to keep my hand full while the board built until I had two Myriams burning the tentacle faced bubble boys face. His turn he counted the damage I would do and cast lay on hands. Yippee two turns for me! that 20 damage guarenteed but I had a glaive of the pit in hand so it was my game anyway, top decked a Fury and killed with the kitty kat instead to keep my secret weapon, well, secret. Game two was similiar myriam's & kadel's burning him quickly.
1-0 (A good start)

Round two and .... Jack .... DAMN IT! sooo typical playing a team mate so early on. Well in playtesting his desecrator deck beat me about 70% of the time. And to add insult to injury I lost the die roll. Game one I got smashed on turn 5, twig to the face > rak > twig to the face > rak > twig to the face! So game two, he got rushed to death by turn 6. Fury + Fury, go kitty go! Game three - damn was close, dropped a fury he cycloned it. And finished me off. Would of got him next turn with my 2nd fury but he had a cyclone ready, and the next card on the deck was Fury nr 3! but thats the way things go!
1-1 (Drat)

I'll admit I can't actually remember which order the following three rounds happened ..... so this may be wrong!

Round 3 or 4 or 5, And an Aleyah Dawnborn match up. Game one was quick, I laid down the rush got as far as 2 Myriams on the board. Then came my clever move! My opponent han Solanian's Belongings available and a blessing of freedom in the graveyard. So I played Chipper from my hand, then tapped Myriam nr 1, he off course completed solanian's to recover and then play the blessing. So on the chain after it resolved I blew chipper to blow the blessing! With the two myriams and a glous that put him on 28. Not finding a way out of the last point we moved onto game 2. This was a game I felt really bad about winning, after muliganing my opponent had nothing. His only none resource play was to drop Tatulla. I responded with bloody welcome and kiblered a Fury. On his turn 5 he knew I had fatal damage available and conceeded.

Round 4 or 5 but deff not 3, and time to play my 2nd team mate of the day - Jay. Another Aleyah Dawnborn deck, and two very fast games, I'd rushed him too death twice in about 20 minutes. Looks like this deck I'm using loves to play bubble boy control!

Round 3 or 4 or 5, Can't even remember this one! but I won it!

Back to a proper time line!

Round 6 and Andy Morgan, this was a matchup I had been dreading, in playtesting I was very weak against ripped decks. The first game went on until about turn 12 before he finally finished me off. Was a bad muligan, and I think my starting hand while not good would have done me much better. Then onto game two and it was flawless, the cards came as they should and he was squashed flat fast. Final game, I was no longer too worried about Andy's deck, but despite a muligan my rush never materialised and he won.
4-2 (Sigh - Get the last and its down to tie-breakers).

The final round Lionar the Blood Cursed, This match was for 5-2 my best result ever in a competition this size. Game one was over fast my opponent was rushed efficently. Game 2 I lost, my muligan was into five cards costing 3+, a bloody welcome and a single quest. The final game came soooo close. His turn 7 down came deafening shout, my field all died. as my turn 8 started I drew a fury, to go with my burn away, not enough resources to use both and claim the game, so I did the only thing I could and killed the shout. His turn, 8 to the face from self readying ferocity guy - Ras'fari Bloodfrenzy - And a glaive of the pit dropping and smacking me. Put me on 2 health left due to the weapons minus five. He was tapped so fury came down for game.
5-2 (Now the wait begins)

I had gone into the 7th round in 11th place, and I had 30-40 mins of waiting time after my match before the final placings got announced. I knew I would just miss it and get 9th, and I was correct. Jack on the other hand made it through, he started round 7 in 10th.

My best performance EVER in a comp this size so I was happy, at the same time a bit gutted to hit 9th. From now on 9th place will always be the Bittersweat one for me! No Nintendo Wii, or Ipod touch for me, but I did get my playset of EA wraith scythes, another T-shirt - getting a serious collection and 24 boosters. Which can't have come from the same box because I got 4 epics and 3 more biscuit loot cards! Overall a brilliant day and roll on Darkmoon Fair: Lyon!

Wisp

No comments: